Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Dangerous Liaisons (危險關係)

Scored some invites to the movie Dangerous Liaisons at MBO Viva Home yesterday night where I have to once again fight through the after office hour rush to reach the venue which is quite a distance from where I stay.
While some friend of mine would choose location and/or movie, I would be one of the few who would travel within my will just so that I could add the movie passes to my collection despite knowing it is not my cup of tea.
The movie is set in 1930s Shanghai and stars South Korean actor Jang Dong-gun and Chinese actresses Zhang Ziyi and Cecilia Cheung.
The story evolved around a playboy who is weathly meets his ex-girlfriend, and make a bet with her on seducing and abandoning an innocent widow.
The bet turn ugly when feeling started to pour in and yeah I know it sound familiar. Anyway things doesn't go as planned where the consequences took more than just a broken heart.
Surprisingly the censorship board in Malaysia let loose on this movie where several 'explicit' (in Malaysian way) scene were screened.
I find the movie rather bored simply because there were way too many old school seductive tricked used and it is played around the same person again and again. The whole movie focuses on the fake courtship which turn ugly when the card is flipped upside down.
The film was screened in the Directors' Fortnight section at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival, the Busan International Film Festival and the Toronto International Film Festival and I was expecting something different.

Rate: 2/5

No comments:

Recommended Post

Related Posts with Thumbnails